Monday, October 15, 2007

Kevin's Story

Well after many promises of getting out of the hospital they finally let me go at 10 pm Sunday night. It was great to at least get back to the hotel and get some sleep. Hospitals and hourly blood pressure checks tend to cut into the sleep cycle. What can I say about this process...well first is a giant THANK YOU to Storm. Thank you does not even begin to start to say what this means to me. I knew I was sick but really had no idea how sick until the new kidney started working ( which was about 1 minute after they put it into me!). I have not felt this good since I was 20! It has been a long process for me. I was originally diagnosed with genetic disease called Polycystic Kidneys from my moms side of the family. Basically starting at about age 20 thousands of cysts started growing on my kidneys and squeezing the kidney until it stopped working. 1 year ago, they finally had less than 10% function left and I began 3 times week dialysis - not fun. Even with dialysis, you are at about 15% kidney function so basically you are carrying around toxins and extra fluid in your body. Storm and I have been friends since were little kids but talking to him about donating a kidney was very difficult and uncomfortable for both of us. Fortunately for me Storm is the wonderful, caring generous person he is and he agreed to get tested and was a match. I could write about this all day but bottom line is I am eternally grateful for the kindness and generosity and for the support of all our friends and family. The prayers and words of encouragement have been tremendous. I can't begin to tell everyone how great it was to have Kerrys support, my wife Vera's support, the visits from freinds and family. I have my life back again...never actually believed it would happen and that I would feel this good :) If anyone has any questions please fire away. Once again THANK YOU Storm. Gotta go lay down now...stitches still hurt a bit :)

Kevin Spence - luckiest guy in the world

No comments: