Wednesday, October 10, 2007

In the OR


Well, today has been interesting to say the least. As one would expect Storm and I did not sleep that well last night. I was up at 0300 and that was the end of that. We left the hotel at 0445 and walked over to the med center only to find out that the first two entrances we tried were locked....but they want everyone there by 0500. (Storm called in yesterday and was told he was slated for a 0630 surgery.) Made it to admissions where they had no idea who Kevin and/or Storm were or why they would be there....lost the paper work. This might be shocking if it did not happen 98% of the time. If you are ever asked to do a "pre-admission" for a hospital, don't bother (especially if you are flying in from Anchorage), it is a complete waste of every one's time!!! So while "they" are trying to recreate the wheel, an admissions clerk tells me that I have to put away my camera because I might be a terrorist. I am NOT making this up. Do you think for one second that if I even slightly resembled a mid-easterner that she would have said that to me? Not a chance!!! She told me that I could be plotting to place a package by taking pictures of the lobby. Honestly, she just could have said it was for pt. privacy, but terrorism? Anyhoo....so we are in pre-op and the nurse tells us that Storm's surg is not until 0830 and then as the recipient....Wait a second!!! Eight-thirty?? Recipient??? Try again. The confidence was a little shaken. BUT we got it straightened out and everyone else we met seemed very cool, competent and most importantly; sober. Storm is in surgery right now, I expect to get an update in about two hours. Kevin goes in around 0830. Thanks again for every one's good thoughts, prayers, cards and Karma....whatever it takes; you all have been very empowering and we cannot tell you how much that means to both of us. I'll get back to you all as soon as I can. Love, Kerry
Here is a lovely file picture for you. Storm has no family pictures on his lap top yet and since I was unable to document the days events, you will have to meditate over these peaceful flowers.

No comments: