Well, despite my best efforts there is not the promised update from KM. I have badgered her about it to within an inch of my life, so I am now done. We will get some Haiti pictures up here eventually, no promises on when though. I will however update everyone on all the other stuff that has been going on around here.
First when KM came home from her trip she was having severe shooting pain in her left arm, shoulder and neck area. An MRI revealed that she has a ruptured disc in her neck which will need to be removed and either replaced or fused to the next one. This was not an injury that happened in Haiti, it probably happened long ago and is just now becoming a problem. Assuming we can get the insurance company onboard she should have her surgery on May 3rd and at this point it is supposed to be the disc replacement with a downtime of 3-6 weeks for her. It has been a long 6 or 8 weeks for her waiting to have it fixed as sometimes it hurts so bad that sleep is nearly impossible. After my episode with back trouble and shooting leg pain last summer I can definitely empathasize and say that it REALLY sucks, so hopefully she will get some relief after the surgery. I just wish for her sake that she didn't have to wait so long for a surgery date to have it fixed.
Second, last week I went on a snowmobiling trip with some friends. We were supposed to go to ArcticMan and ride up there, but the snow reports were so bad that we opted to go to Valdez instead. It was truly unbelievable, I thought that our mtns around here were great, Valdez puts us to shame. Plus there are tons of opportunities to backcountry ski using the sled for access, something I most definitely intend to do next winter. I made that decision right after I rode my sled up the mtn about 4-5000 ft and as I arrived at the top a helicopter landed right next to me and let all his skiers get out. I was in awe the whole 3 days that I was there. However on the last day as we were headed to the truck, I was within sight of the parking lot when I let my guard down and drove the snowmobile into a ditch. We made it through okay, but the impact of the handlebars on my right wrist ended up tearing some ligaments and possibly damaging some other stuff, soooo that means surgery for me on Wednesday the 21st of April. So much for my spring snowmobiling and skiing plans, oh well there's always next winter I guess.
Third, then to top it all off, KM's parents were planning to come and visit to help us out during our recoveries. In fact they had just made their plane reservations on Wed morning, and then on Wed afternoon KM's Mother Barb tripped over something and landed on her ankle wrong and it broke in several different places, so surgery for her as well.
Definitely not a good month healthwise for the Carls/Meadows. The good news is that we should all be back up and running near full strength in 6-8 weeks or so. They say that bad stuff always happens in three's...well we are hoping that is true. I hope that everyone reading this has been able to avoid all pitfalls that we have run into lately!!
Have a great spring and we'll keep you all updated on our status, they might be short updates if I have to type one-handed though! See Ya, Storm
No comments:
Post a Comment